Green buildings are designed, sited, constructed, remodeled, and operated to enhance the well-being and health of their occupants while supporting a natural environment and community.
In practical terms, green building is a complex integrated system that includes:
- Using sun and site to the building's advantage for natural heating, cooling, and day lighting
- Designing for livable communities
- Using energy-efficient and water-saving appliances, fixtures, and technologies
- Building quality, durable structures
- Reducing and recycling construction and demolition waste
- Incorporating durable, salvaged, recycled, and sustainably harvested materials
- Insulating well and ventilating appropriately
- Using health products and building practices for indoor air quality optimization
- Landscaping with native and drought-resistant plants
These strategies and more when implemented holistically save you money, increase your comfort, well-being, help to maintain healthy indoor air quality, lowering the cost of home ownership, increasing property and resale value, and preserve our environment for future generations.
The 5 principles achievements of a GREEN home are: